The Creating UNiTy Award acknowledges the significant achievements of staff members who take positive steps to create a culture and climate of respect and inclusion, who value differences and find innovative ways to improve opportunities for the diverse communities we serve. Individuals whose primary role is the promotion of equity and diversity are eligible for nomination of this award when they have demonstrated achievements above and beyond work expectations for their job.Up to three employees per year can be honored in this category. Recipients receive an engraved award and $1,000 taxable cash award.
- Nominee must be in a UNT retirement-eligible staff position for at least six consecutive months.
- Nominee must hold a position lower than the level of Associate/Assistant Vice President.
- Nominee may not have received any formal disciplinary action or performance improvement plan within the twelve months prior to the nomination date.
- Nominee may not have received the award within the previous three years.
- Nominee is an advocate for those in crisis, those who are physically and/or mentally disabled, or are part of underrepresented groups to include: race, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, ancestry, citizenship, veteran status, socioeconomic status, and more.
- Nominee shows a commitment to accepting differences, improving harmony and opening dialogue to improve relations between people of diverse communities.
- Nominee expands knowledge of other cultures and experiences to others and/or opens doors to underrepresented groups.
- Nominee develops innovative methods for increasing and valuing diversity both in the populations we serve and/or in specific activities on campus.
- Nominee actively promotes an environment free from bias or discrimination by demonstrating compassion and a spirit of unity.
- Nominee organizes events, training, education, outreach, leadership, and/or program opportunities that facilitate respect and inclusiveness and inspire others to support each other.