UNT embraces diversity because it is one of the cornerstones of any great university. The UNT Staff Diversity Award acknowledges the significant achievements of staff members who are active in increasing awareness and education about diversity and inclusion. They also take positive steps to value differences and create a culture and climate of respect and inclusion for diversity in the workplace. Staff members whose primary role is the promotion of equity and diversity are not eligible for nomination of this award. Up to three employees per year can be honored in this category. Recipients receive an engraved award and $1,000 taxable cash award.
Nomination forms will be made available for submission during the nomination period.
- Nominee must be a staff member in a UNT retirement-eligible position for at least six consecutive months from the date of nomination.
- Nominee member must hold a position lower than the level of executive (president, provost, vice president or vice provost).
- Nominee may not have any formal disciplinary action within 12 months prior to the nomination date.
- Nominee must have a performance rating not lower than 2.5 on most recent performance evaluation.
- Nominee may not have received this award within the previous three years.
- Nominee demonstrates a commitment to promoting diversity, inclusion, equity and access.
- Nominee goes above and beyond the call of duty to place special emphasis on serving and supporting underrepresented groups, including but not limited to, race, nationality or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, ancestry, citizenship, veteran status, and more.
- Nominee goes above and beyond the call of duty by creating and/or promoting training, education, outreach, leadership, and/or program opportunities to foster a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Nominee raises awareness or improved services above and beyond the call of duty to promote diversity, directly benefiting faculty, staff or students.
Examples could include:
- Nominee collaborates with others across different areas to ensure a department with a high number of Spanish speaking employees receives work related information in Spanish.
- Nominee sponsors a student organization centered on underrepresented groups. Actively works with the group on various activities and helps increase awareness, educate others and increases inclusion. Mentors others.
- Nominee makes significant efforts to assist university members impacted by the DACA ruling.